Wednesday 6 February 2013

clearing tabs





Letters of Note is relentlessly great. This is Ronald Reagan to a kid whose mum said his room was a disaster area.

A lot of people have tweeted Alex von Tunzelmann on Lisztomania. They were right to.

In honour of yesterday's excellent news for the forces of not being bigoted, this is a very interesting piece about three sixties gay students. For historical reasons, it's the footballer I am most interested in. Out gay sportsmen are jolly rare. Vince Lombardi is the famous NFL head coach. He had a gay brother, says Wikipedia, and he apparently told his coaches: 'I want you to get on McDonald and work on him and work on him - and if I hear one of you people make reference to his manhood, you'll be out of here before your ass hits the ground.' It's not a joyful story, by the way. 

Not sure who tweeted the story about the casting of Pulp Fiction which ends as follows:

Jackson flew out to L.A. for a last-ditch audition with Tarantino. “I sort of was angry, pissed, tired,” Jackson recalls. He was also hungry, so he bought a takeout burger on his way to the studio, only to find nobody there to greet him. “When they came back, a line producer or somebody who was with them said, ‘I love your work, Mr. Fishburne,’” says Jackson. “It was like a slow burn. He doesn’t know who I am? I was kind of like, F*** it. At that point I really didn’t care.” Gladstein remembers Jackson’s audition: “In comes Sam with a burger in his hand and a drink in the other hand and stinking like fast food. Me and Quentin and Lawrence were sitting on the couch, and he walked in and just started sipping that shake and biting that burger and looking at all of us. I was scared s***less. I thought that this guy was going to shoot a gun right through my head. His eyes were popping out of his head. And he just stole the part.” Lawrence Bender adds, “He was the guy you see in the movie. He said, ‘Do you think you’re going to give this part to somebody else? I’m going to blow you motherf****s away.’”

(As before, I sometimes asterisk rude words because I have friends whose companies don't let them look at my blog otherwise.)

Read more here: http://www.idahostatesman.com/2007/12/30/250654/lives-of-three-u-of-i-stars-unfolded.html#storylink=cpy'

No comments: