Monday 20 February 2012

have you married the descendents of lucille ball and king william iv?


I bet you haven't, but Linda Purl has. She married Desi Arnaz Jr when she was 25 and Alexander Cary when she was 38. He is the some-greats-grandson of Amelia FitzClarence, of William IV's illegitimate FitzClarences, an ex-Scots guard and a successful television writer.

She's only had four husbands. Magda Gabor had six, including one of Zsa Zsa's, George Sanders, who you may remember as the heel in Rebecca, which I finally saw yesterday. He said: 'I never really thought I'd make the grade. And let's face it, I haven't.' On the other hand, he was the voice of Shere Khan and the inspiration for Hercules Grytpype-Thynne.

Via Marbury over there on the right, I read the fantastic obit of John Fairfax:

At 20, he attempted suicide-by-jaguar. Afterward he was apprenticed to a pirate. To please his mother, who did not take kindly to his being a pirate, he briefly managed a mink farm, one of the few truly dull entries on his otherwise crackling résumé*, which lately included a career as a professional gambler.

And in other news: 'A teenaged Texas beauty queen accused by contest sponsors of infractions including gaining too much weight by eating tacos was stripped of her crown on Wednesday.'

* In my opinion, the writer of this obituary has never managed a mink farm.

2 comments:

slepkane said...

Have you seen "All About Eve"? You should see "All About Eve".

Robert Hudson said...

I have ordered "All About Eve".