Friday 30 April 2010

walter jones retires

But why do you care? No real reason. I mean, after all, there's a very good chance you don't know who he is. I only mention it so I can say that I heard the other day that his children are called Walterus and Walteria.* Beat that with a stick.

(Another great NFL name I hadn't heard because I am such a new fan: Peerless Price. One that bears repeating: Vitamin T Smith. I know that funny names is the world's cheapest joke.)

(You know, right, that George Foreman's five sons are all called George?)



* Heard via Twitter. Don't quote me in your PhD.

5 comments:

Miss Jones said...

My granddad was called Walter Jones. His retirement is less recent, which leads me to think it might not be the same person.

Unknown said...

I was at school with one of the sons of American professional golfer Calvin Peete. This kid had been named Calvin after his father, and I recall bickering/flirting with him before an English Lit class one day -- he had told me his sister was named Kalvanetta, also after their dad, but I thought he was having me on to see if I was gullible enough to believe such a silly thing. He kept insisting and I kept re-buffing. Turned out he was dead serious. Kalvanetta...what a name. Not as outre as Walterius, though.

Natalie R. said...

Best American football name in my opinion is actually on the college level. The University of Georgia has a player called Bacarri Rambo. It's such a great name.

Robert Hudson said...

Natalie, you have made my day.

Robert Hudson said...

Also, sorry so dilatory, Calvin Peete has been a blog post waiting to happen for some time, and this might just spur me into it; and, knowing you as I know you, Miss Jones, if this Walter Jones was in your direct bloodline, you are an apple that has dropped several miles from the tree.