Friday 22 January 2010

big up bureaucracy

Things that drive me crazy: people who knee-jerk use the words bureaucrat and bureaucracy to mean things we all self-evidently despise. I know I have said this before.

Without paying the tenner that the post office wanted to check my passport application form was properly filled in (four questions: what is your name, address, previous passport number, signature); or even the fiver they ask to make you less scared they'll lose your mail, I sent off my old passport on Thursday last week and got a new one on Tuesday this week. Obviously you want to cut waste; obviously some things are tedious; obviously some things go wrong; but do people really not get that most things in Britain work well by any rational standard?*


* Yes

2 comments:

Holly said...

I did pay the post office to do the checking thing yesterday, and was pleased I had: apparently when the passport people say they need to see both of your eyes on the photo, they also mean your eye brows. Mine were beneath my fringe...

Matthew Green said...

As a bureaucrat, I applaud your faith.