Friday 2 October 2009

we're all going on a summer holiday

I mean: I'm going on a two-day trip to the Beverley Literary Festival. Let me leave you with another bit of James Lever's Me Cheeta
a chimpanzee trying to act human is funny because ... well, why is that? Something to do with aspiration. You think you're pure and want to be us. We know you're not pure but we still aspire to be you. That's the tragedy at the heart of our, or some would say my, comedy, and a little more profound than anything that my esteemed colleague the Utopian dolt, satyromaniac, cradle-snatcher, self-mythologizer and (need I say it) sentimentalist Charlie Chaplin's Weltanschauung, to use a term rather typical of Charlie's own self-consciously showy autodidact's vocabulary. With his three fucking Oscars. The difference between us, Charlie - the crucial difference between us - is that no one has ever once called my work 'dated'. Must get off Chaplin.
If you haven't read this book yet, it's not my fault.

No comments: