Sunday 26 July 2009

when children's presenters go bad / the creative process *live*

I was listening, because I couldn't be bothered to change channel, to Radio 7's Big Toe Radio show while I made breakfast (was I making breakfast just for me? Well may you wonder*).

The presenter, in a sickly-but-not-too-gruesome-compared-to-some speaking-to-children voice implored children to post their book reviews. 'Here's one from Sophie,' she said. I think it was Sophie. It doesn't matter. I don't remember the book. Sophie said she liked how the book mixed magic and sadness. Then she said, 'It made me happy because I live in a beautiful town with beautiful people.'

The presenter, still in gooey voice, said, 'Well, Sophie, I don't know many people who are happy with where they live.'

I now have a set of very different plots featuring this character. Some are for romantic comedies, and some are for horror movies. In fact, I might persuade my writing partner to do them as sketches, if she ever stops being on holiday. Look, though, you could steal the idea. This is the writing process happening in front of you. It's probably what I would have done if I'd got a slot on the plinth.


* I was making breakfast just for me.

No comments: