Friday 27 February 2009

the all-time greatest diary entry...*

It's in the Duff Cooper Diaries (read them):
September 11, 1919
A wonderfully hot day. I met Felix Elston at lunch with Diana. I hadn't seen him for years. He seemed in no way altered by having murdered Rasputin...

Readers of match reports may remember me mentioning this, but maybe not everyone believes that the match reports are better than the blog because of weird anti-sports prejudice, and I think it would be cruel to deprive them of this diary entry.

Also, it would be cruel to deprive them of the knowledge that Elston is responsible for the disclaimer on the start of films saying that what is depicted is not real (he got a big payment from MGM after winning a libel case based on Rasputin and the Empress). I was told this fact by John. Good historians acknowledge their sources. So do I.

*...that I have read.

No comments: