Tuesday 13 January 2009

how to attract the wombat

I really didn't know much about Will Cuppy until I picked up How to Attract the Wombat, which looks at first sight like a depressing wacky humour book. But I picked it up to flick through. I am going to do so now at random. Here is what I find:
How much do you really know about the Armadillo? I thought so. The Armadillo is a mammal, which seems to surprise some people. Perhaps I should have studied these people instead of the Armadillo. It would be a life work, however, and I haven't time for it now. The Armadillo wears a coat of armor consisting of bony shields fore and aft and tough, flexible bands across the middle of his back. This protects him against possible attacks from above. While the Armadillo is thinking how safe he is on top, some other mammal flips him upside down and has a nice meal of raw Armadillo.

Basically, a wee idea - jokey descriptions of animals - but done really funny. Cuppy wrote for the New Yorker, among others, and he also wrote The Decline and Fall of Practically Everybody, which was was unfinished when he died. According to Wikipedia, CBS's Edward Murrow and his colleague Don Hollenbeck took turns reading from it on the air 'until the announcer cracked up.'

I'll come back to Cuppy, because almost everything in the book is great.

No comments: